Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This is no ordinary family!

I recently ran across this phrase while searching on the internet for a few titles to use on a set of mini scrapbooks I was creating.  When I read it - it took me back and made me chuckle a bit. First of all, what dictates an "ordinary family"?  Is there really such a thing as an "ordinary family" anymore these days?  In the dictionary the word ordinary is listed as: usual; customary; mediocre.  So by that definition - our family for sure doesn't qualify as an "ordinary family".  While we do have the customary family grouping - a mom, dad, children and pets - we are FAR from mediocre in my book.  The second thing that I loved about this phrase was that it made me feel proud to state that "Hey!  We are NOT your ordinary Family!  We're AMAZING!"  That may or may not be how the person who phrased it meant it to be taken but that is how I choose to take it and how I would hope many of you would choose to state this when speaking of your own families.

Who needs ordinary families these days?  What the world needs is superior families! We need families to step up to the plate, to set the bar high and then raise to it.  We need families full of love, who not only serve each other, but who are willing to make a difference in the world we live in.

The mini scrapbooks I was working on are for a Silent Auction being held this year at the Close To My Heart Convention to raise money for Operation Smile.  If you recall - last year I was asked to make a piece of art as well that would be auctioned off.  Well this year I wanted to be sure to make something that would bring in some $$ - I'm pleased with the finished piece, and hope that it will bring money to this worthy cause.  These cute little scrapbooks are made from our new My Creations Board Book, the book is actually a 6x6 board book but I took the books down to our local print shop and had them cut down to a 4 3/8 x 6 book so that they would fit in one of our My Creations Recipe/Photo Boxes (which I must say I absolutely LOVE these little boxes! They are so much fun to play with!).  Here's a sneak peek at the action piece.  I smell a workshop coming up featuring this same project (maybe some different papers - but wow - the options are limitless!).

Here is a peek at the little books I made.  The first one is titled "Our family tree is full of nuts" - of course I envision this cute little book filled with fun pictures of a wonderful family.  We all take pictures of our families - and they aren't always formal, are they?  I love random pictures taken of my own family doing the goofy things that only they do!  It's a fun reminder that life is to be ENJOYED and not just endured!  Families should have personality!  Sometimes we forget to scrapbook our TRUE selves when we scrapbook - scrapbooking these little moments will tell the big picture of family life in your home.

The second book is titled "What keeps our family busy is..." and I thought about all the things that we do as a family together.  Trips that we've taken - moments that we've shared, service that's been rendered.  What about the work we do, the school accomplishments, the activities that we enjoy?  What fills our time describes our families. It's how we fill our days; it's the very life that we live. It tells a big story about who we really are.  Our lives these days are filled to the brim with lots of "good" things.  Take a moment to think of all that keeps your family busy these days - are there some things that maybe need to take a back seat so that you can add something that's maybe "better"?  or maybe the "BEST" thing? 
The last book is titled "We may not have it all together, but TOGETHER we have it all!" and that says it all, doesn't it?  Life happens, doesn't it?  It throws us some loops at times and it's how we, as a family, pull together that shows the true character of our family unit.  No family is perfect but TOGETHER we can move mountains!  These tender moments that show our families unity, these are the moments that should be cherished forever.  They stand as a witness to the strength of our family.  Our family is NO ORDINARY FAMILY - that's for sure!


Here are a few more sneak peeks of the pages inside:


6 comments:

  1. That is quite a beautiful work of art! I truly love it. You are so crafty, friend. Your talent knows no bounds. Thanks for sharing! And if there is a class in the works, count me in...unless I'm off galavanting to the ends of the earth. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! When do I get mine? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this such a great idea and we have lots of nuts in our family and this would be perfect. off to order more 6x6 books. great idea, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should do a family tutorial! I don't know you, but I found you on a search for re-covering a box. I'm part of a month-long online blog group focusing on celebrating the Family, and what you said here really touched me. It's a group focused around the anniversary of a document entitled, "The Family: A Proclamation to the World." You can read some of the entries and find links to a craft hop this last week of crafts that focused on the theme by going here: http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/ -- I really am just in LOVE with this box of family books idea, particularly when you have little ones and live far away from family. It would be cool for them to have pictures of grandparents and fun outings they shared together, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you "Mommy#1" for your comments. I visited the site you linked to as well. Yes, the Family Proclamtion is amazing isn't it?

    You reference a "family tutorial" - what are you thinking per say? fill me in on details - I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete