Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Shhhh....it's a secret!

Or rather...it WAS a secret!

I received an interesting phone call on my business line back in July - and when I say interesting, I mean INTERESTING! It was from a gal who at first sounded like a telemarketer to me, but as she rattled off this "message" I soon had to stop her and ask "excuse me, but who are you again? and what is it that you want?". Now, as far as I could figure out by this point I really don't remember her explaining this and recently I had had several telemarketers trying to get me to do some advertising with "local" businesses - and actually these salesmen were scam artists at best. So needless to say I was a bit leery of what was on the other end of this phone call.

Now, when I said this it took the woman back a bit and she stopped her rattling and with an exasperated sound coming from the other end I finally heard this gal utter her name and with a "matter of fact" voice she stated that she was from Close To My Heart, and she'd been a consultant for blah blah blah.

Anyways, long story short - she was calling around to a few consultants to ask them if they would be willing to donate a piece of "artwork" for a charity auction to be held at our Annual Leadership Conference to be held down in Long Beach California. Her details were vague at best but I agreed and hung up the phone.

It wasn't until later that night that I starting thinking about this "assignment" and realizing that I had NO CLUE as to what she was expecting from me! Quickly as I could the next morning I located a phone number for her and called her back for some further details - thankfully she was a bit nicer that morning than she'd been the night before. With a new found "direction", if you can call it that, I set out to figure out a piece of art that I could successfully accomplish in the short period of time that I had to do it in as I was leaving for California early to visit family.
Now, I had been cleaning out Aaron's room, a daunting task I must say, we were in the process of weeding out some of his old toys that of course now as a 13 year old he didn't play with. While weeding through the mess I came upon a treasure chest that he had made at scout camp and that got me to thinking...wondering, "could I possibly recreate this using our product line? and if so - would it look as cool as I envisioned it looking?"
If you know me, then you know I'm the type of person who wants things done yesterday. I have no patience for waiting. When I come up with a task or a plan I want to do it NOW! So, off I went to see if I could recreate this "masterpiece".

I must say that it took probably a couple hours to create the main box and then once it was completed I set it aside for a few days as I thought about how to finish it off with accents & lock etc. I don't know if you would call it a "work of art" but it was successful in my book and fun to realize that I COULD indeed recreate something that I had seen out of our product line.

I'm happy to say that this little treasure chest brought in $55 for Operation Smile at the auction that was held. While it's not as much as I'd hoped for - I'm grateful for what it did bring. Some lucky child will gain a new outlook on life, they'll gain a smile.

And just as the insert in the treasure chest states..."you'll find the greatest treasure changing children's lives one smile at a time".

1 comment:

  1. Cute. I especially like the inside of the treasure box! And I will agree with you and stand by your side about telemarketers and scam artists. It is hard to know and tell when the genuine ones are on the other end as well.

    ReplyDelete