Friday, June 5, 2009

It happened in a blink...

Where does the time go to? It seems like yesterday that I brought you home from the hospital. So tiny. So pure, and precious. I remember counting your toes and loving your little furrowed brow. If I close my eyes and think for a moment I can still smell the sweet smell of your hair - apricots - it smelled like apricots. Long gone are those days when I would cradle you close in my arms each night and sing softly the words "teach me to walk in the light of His love, teach me to pray to my Father above....", yet while they are long gone they are not forgotten. My throat feels the hint of soreness and my eyes well up with tears as I think of those sweet moments that are now gone, but which the memory of is burned into my very being.


I remember when I used to look at people back then, people who were...gulp...my age that I am now, people who had "older" children, who had "freedom", who didn't have diaper bags and car seats. I would dream of the day when that would be my life - "oh, how sweet it would be" I would think to myself. Little did I know then that I would look back once I got here and long for those days when my children were young again. Why is it that we can't cherish the moments we are in when we are in them? Why do we always feel the need to hurry through life? Life should be enjoyed. EVERY LAST MINUTE OF IT - it just goes to fast and we shouldn't miss any part of it. Oh what I wouldn't give to have just one more tender moment where I could cradle you close Kara and sing to you once more as you nuzzled your small precious head close to mine.


Tonight Kara graduated from high school. I have dreaded and be moaned this day for the past 4 years and yet awaited it eagerly. It's a "bittersweet" moment for sure. While I'm so very proud of her, what she has accomplished in her life and the beautiful young woman she has become, and excited to see what will come next as she enters this new phase of adulthood, I can't help but be sad at the same time. I'm going to miss this beautiful girl and am going to long to hear her voice and see her smile.

Where does the time go to? It seems like yesterday you were a young girl learning to walk, then ride a bike, and heading off to the first day of school. I blinked and 17 1/2 years have flown by - you've grown up and are finished with those childhood things. Your a young adult who is ready to start off on a new chapter of her life. Enjoy this new chapter Kara because before you know it you'll blink and it will be done. You'll wonder what happened and it will seem like a dream. Then it will sink in just how fast our time here on earth really is....it's just a blink of an eye. Enjoy it Kara, treasure it, love it, live it. I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulation on have a graduate. You hit it on the head when you said you looked up to those with older children and freedom and longed for those days to you be yours. Thanks for reminding me to cherish where I am right now. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe it. You've done a great job with her. She's done a great job with herself. I'm excited to see how her story continues.

    ReplyDelete