Tuesday, May 12, 2009

She wore the "perfect" dress.....

Prom night...an event that teenage girls dream about from the time they enter middle school. It's something that comes for many of us just once in a life time(unless you are my sister who went to three different proms in 3 weeks! lol), and for some of us not at all.

This last weekend was the MPHS prom night - a night long awaited in the Lohberg household. We'd spent the time searching for the "perfect" dress - which I'm happy to post a picture of now - isn't it cute?! While it might not be every one's "perfect" dress, it was the "perfect" dress for Kara. The colors were just amazing and she just glowed in it.

We spent the day getting manicures & pedicures, making her "one of a kind" jewelry to match her outfit, fixing hair, picking up the boutonniere etc.

At long last it was time for him to pick her up. I'd given him a hard time about taking some photos before they left so he showed up a little early just for me to do that - smart boy!

Then they were off to take group photos over at the park by his folks home. We of course followed behind so we could take more shots! lol - I was glad to arrive and find ALL of the other parents there as well to take pictures of their children - so we weren't the ONLY freaks to be paparazzi-ing the kids.

They took it all in stride and seemed to have a blast while doing it as well. I mean just check out these "cool" shades! Kara and Barry both work at the local theatre that had recently shown a 3-D movie - pop out the crazy lenses and voila - you've got fun, funky glasses! Of course they thought it was hilarious to wear these cool shades during the group photos - not sure how all the other parents felt - but personally I was on the "that's hilarious" side!

Right after prom comes graduation - it's the signal that high school life is coming to a close and before you know these two will find themselves starting new adventures. Barry will soon be off to serve a full time mission for our church and Kara will be heading off to BYU in the fall.


Soon they will leave their childhood life behind, and embrace adulthood.

While, I'm sad to see her leave our home, I can't help but be excited for her to experience life and all it has to offer.

How grateful I am to have had these special years with her. How I will long to spend every second that she will be willing to share with me as she will now have a busy life of her own.

Yes, prom may be over and graduation just a blink away but the memories are locked up tight in my heart and are here to stay.


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having prom over and done with. Kara looked beautiful! It is nice to see it from the parents side and I am sure Kara has no idea how lucky she is to have a mom like you! Barry also looked very cute! What a lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! They had a blast and they both looked amazing. The glasses were such a crack up, perfect addition to a fun night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great, especially Kara! Love the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Sure do like your blog! (I am quite the fan of Close to My Heart)

    I have to say, this is the first years in YEARS that one of ours was not"doing" prom and I am not totally sure how I feel about it either. Our HS here does such a wonderful after prom that is out of this world. Keeps the kids safe and having a great time.

    Your daughter is adorable. Loving the glasses.

    Anyhoooo, I am jumping into your followers group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Rhonda - what an honor! I have visited your blog several times - love it! Thank you for dropping by - I hope you'll visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, don't know what it is but whenever I read your blog I cry. YOu have such a tender way with words and capture all that I feel about this precious time with my kiddos.
    Kara looks beatiful!! What a fun time in life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jaci - that was sweet - I just type what I feel - it does come from the heart - I will be SO SAD when she leaves yet I will also be so EXCITED for what is to come in her life. We just need to embrace and ENJOY every minute of life we have. Miss you my friend!

    ReplyDelete